Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Love for Law - God's law

Was reading Psalm 119 this morning - it's beautiful, I love it! It took me a number of attempts to get through it, though. I felt so tired and sleepy (from assignment-ing in the very early morning and night before), so after reading a section I napped for ~20mins, which would energise me through to the next chunk. I think I had about 4 * ~20 min naps in total. Ahh, naps are tops. It was good that it gave me time to allow the Psalmist's words to sink in during the nap. (If I drive to uni, I'm going to bring a small pillow from now on. Coz atm I rest my head on my arms, blocking the blood flow - so I'm forced to wake up after 20 mins as a result of the pins and needles.) ANYWAYS, that's not the main point. :P

What stood out out to me was the Psalmist's deep love for God and His law. When you read it, it is clear of His immense desire and thirst for God. He lovesGod's law "more than gold, pure gold" and "rejoice[s] in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches".

I wondered: why does he, and how can he love God and love obeying God's law THAT much? Is that just a desire as a result of randomness - that people are different, and this dude instead of loving to break the rules he chooses to love God's law at his own will? Or does God play a part in affecting that desire? And if He does play a part, to what extent? (Umm, I don't really know...)

Although the Psalmist has experienced the shame (v.6) as a result of his disobedience to God at times, he has also experienced the blessedness of those who follow God (v. 1). God's Word and His promises strengthens him in times of sorrow (v. 28) and preserves his life (v. 50). He considers God's law as 'righteous', 'good', 'eternal', 'trustworthy', 'a lamp to [his] feet' and 'right' etc etc, the list goes on.

So, it seems that he has really experienced God's awesome & wonderful goodness as he seeks to trust and obey God's law. And, perhaps, by experiencing the goodness of God, it spurs him on to continue to trust and obey God.

As I reflect, I had wondered immensely in the past how I could love God and treasure obedience to His commands to such an extent (as to even love it more than $$ etc etc). But, as God opens my eyes more and more to see His amazing goodness in my life, it continues to drive me to continue to love and seek God more and more.

I remember meeting some oldies who were clearly in love with Jesus - shown by their countenance, actions and words. They were one of the happiest chaps I've ever met. Their countenance just reflected an aura of joy. They were pretty old, a decade or two off being a centenarian. It's awesome to see that their love for our Lord and Saviour has not gone cold, but in fact, is still growing vertically at that age. I hope that, by God's grace, that my love for my God will continue to deeepen and deepend and deepen...and deepen. :)

1 comment: