Friday, August 7, 2009

Blessings - count them la!

A few days ago, I had a chat with two international Iraqi students. They've been here for 5 months, and are here to improve their already fairly good English.

They shared about their frustration of feeling segregated in this country. Despite their thirst and deep longing (I've never met anyone who are so desperate to know English than those two before!) to practice English with the people here, they simply cannot, since they do not have any non-Iraqi friends. They suggested it might be the result of the media portraying a negative light on the Middle Eastern people.

During the convo, I reflected on my attitude to people of different cultural backgrounds. Quite shamefully, I realise that often, perhaps because of my pride, I am usually unwillinging to step out of my comfort zone to reach out to people of different backgrounds, or just anyone who I consider as strangers.

But, how does God treat people of different age, backgrounds, languages etc? I find it amazing, and remarkable that Jesus came into the world to die for the stuff-ups of everyone, not just for the Israelites, but for everyone. Everyone!

The Iraqi students deep longing to know English (I can't emphasise their thirst to know English in words!) taught me that having the privilege to know English is such an amazing blessing in itself! In the past, I have always taken the English language for granted, never before seeing it as a blessing.

And to be able to use this language to teach others is just another blessing... Our God is such a great God who pours His blessings abundantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment