Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Speck in a Speck!

Today our speaker challenged us to see the significance of how insignificant we are. This photograph was shown to illustrate this:


Taken nearly 4 billion miles away, if you look carefully, there's a little dot. That dot is earth! If you still can't see it, it's roughly half-way down the sunbeam on the right.

In the words of Carl Sagan, "look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives... [on] a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light."

So, if I'm (along with several billion others) a tiny speck in that miniscule speck, my worries, anxieties, concerns, upcoming exams, are really not that significant in the grand scheme of things, is it? Like, what if I don't do as well as I'd liked to in this upcoming exam? Boo hoo. No wonder God tells us not to worry. There's nothing to worry about, if we're (a speck in that speck)created by this BIG God, who, as the Bible claims, also created that speck and everything in it...by...a few verbal commands. :O But as a speck who gets absorb in that speck, I keep forgetting this, and often think that hey, my problems are too great for this God. But how can they be too great?


Yet, this same BIG God knows me before I was born, and knows me so well to the extent that the hairs on my head are counted. According to the Bible, He loves me (and all the other tiny, tiny, tiny billions of specklings) so much that He would send His Son to come into this speck to die for me, a speckling. A BIG hunble, loving God who was willing to die for the specklings who reject Him, and actually want Him dead. Why? So that if we specklings believe in Jesus, we can spend eternity with our BIG BIG creator. To me, this is mind-blowing.

When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have sent in place,
what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him? (Ps 8:3-4)

1 comment: